Re: Report on how kids can't write well

Subject: Re: Report on how kids can't write well
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 20:16:04 GMT

> loosely paraphrased, "Teachers are not responsible for
> students' learning; their parents are."

I'm sure there are bad teachers who use this as a cop-out,
and well-meaning but overwhelmed teachers who use it as
an explanation. But I must admit to having a certain amount
of sympathy for those who must deal with wave after 30-
student wave of kids whose parents haven't taught them to
read, and who in fact might never have read to them...

Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
Disclaimer: Even if my employer had a position on the subject,
I probably wouldn't be the one stating it on their behalf.