Re: Why kids can't write well -Reply

Subject: Re: Why kids can't write well -Reply
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 11:08:00 PDT

"it" isn't a prepositional phrase! ;)
Perhaps the joke went "Where is Harvard Square at?"
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 1994 7:28AM

Kayla Westra wrote:

I have to tell this joke here. Actually, I heard it on _Designing
Women_ a couple of years back.

Young Southern debutante greets older Southern lady:
"Good evening, maam. Where you all from?"
Older Southern lady:
"Well, I'm from where ladies don't end their sentences with
propositions."
Young Southern debutante:
"Excuse me, maam. Where you all from, bitch?"

I heard a variation on this joke way back in 1968. It went:

Incoming freshman at Harvard:
"Excuse me. What time is it?"
Snooty upperclassman:
"I beg your pardon. At Harvard, we do not end a sentence in a
preposition."
Incoming freshman:
"Okay. What time is it, stupid?"

Perhaps sitcom writers aren't as original as they would like people
to think.