Re: Usage of the word "thru"

Subject: Re: Usage of the word "thru"
From: Niall Johnson <niallj -at- CI -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 08:19:52 +1000

John Brush allegedly wrote:

> Am I the only Technical Writer who uses "thru" when referring to a
> series of items? The people who review my manuscripts would rather
> see the word "through," but I'm sticking with thru unless my fellow
> writers tell me I'm wrong.

Wrong? Mmm.

Working in Australia I am guided on spelling by either the Oxford or
Macquarie Dictionaries. Indeed the documentation plan that is agreed with
the client specifies the "spelling dictionary and exceptions". For public
sector clients there is also a standard that specifies the Macquarie
Dictionary.

I tend to use the Oxford as my primary source.

Based on this, and personal preference, I avoid "thru" and use "through".

p.s. The Macquarie Dictionary is a dictionary developed and maintained at
Macquarie University (one of my past haunts) here in Sydney, Australia.

--
Ciao

niall