All thru the nite

Subject: All thru the nite
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:19:28 IDT

Is no one here from Chicago? I believe it was a famous Chicago
newspaper, a generation ago, that coined several simplified spellings
including "thru" and "nite". Some have survived, some haven't.

The dictionaries overrule the newspapers in the short run, but
in the long run the newspapers dictate usage to the dictionaries.

I was glad to have "thru" available when indexing a book that had
chapter-number prefixes on its page numbers, so I could compactly
refer to pages "3-7 thru 34-14". ("3-7 - 3-14" is out of the question;
I suppose "to" would have been even more compact, though a trifle
less exact.)

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit EDA Technologies | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
"You can't judge right by looking at the wrong." -- Willie Dixon