Colored Pens

Subject: Colored Pens
From: "Brian S. R. Bennett" <bb18+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:57:57 -0400

>Virginia Krenn wrote:

> Supposedly, 10% of males are red/green color blind as are my father
> and both of my sons. I used red pens to grade papers. And, I still
> like red (or pink) to make notes on my own documents. But, now I
> wonder what would be best for grading papers.

> Blue would be difficult to use on papers that are written in blue ink.
> Yellow ink on white paper doesn't have enough contrast. So, what is
> the ideal color?

I am severely (more than just the usual red/green) color blind. Color-blind
people lack the ability to see various ranges within the color spectrum. As
a result, colors that are different to non-color-blind people are perceived
to be the same, or at least, not as different, by color-blind people.

To overcome this inability to use shades of color to differentiate between
colors, color-blind people rely heavily on contrast. So, a darker color
such as dark blue or red, would be fine. I don't think that pink would
provide enough contrast on white paper. Green (unless it's very dark) or
yellow are definitely difficult for me to see.

If you want to use a color that contrasts with the color of the type, you're
probably out of luck when it comes to color-blind people. I can rarely tell
the difference between blue, black, and red ink without putting my eyes
about four inches from the page and squinting. Using a thick marker can
help, but can make the editing fairly messy.

Brian

Brian S. R. Bennett
Senior Information Developer
H. B. Maynard and Company