Re: Who can't write?

Subject: Re: Who can't write?
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 13:16:45 EDT

Matt Hicks writes:

...well documented that this bias on the part of teachers can result in boys
and girls having pretty much the set of skills that they are expected to,
because the students themselves start to believe the biases are accurate.
******************

And who can forget the talking Babie dolls of just a few Christmases ago?
Only great public and media outcry shamed Mattel into recalling the ones that
whined, "Math is sooo harrrd." One "wonders" whether Mattel had an agenda, or
was simply so behind-the-times that this blatant sexism slipped past all the
suits-in-charge without appearing anything but completely acceptable.

I was thrilled when I heard about the Barbie Liberation Front (or some such
name): a group of "terrorists" gained access to a factory (I think), and
switched the tapes inside some Kens and Barbies. Actually, they might have
been G.I. Joes, not Kens. Anyway, the Ken/G.I. Joe dolls who enthused about
shopping at the mall, or whined about math, were not discovered until after
they were purchased! I forget what the trans-vox-al Barbies got to say, but
they were nice, tough, macho things...

Take care, and may your dog go with you,

Gwen