Re: Do engineers = programmers?

Subject: Re: Do engineers = programmers?
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 15:05:54 EST

LaVonna raised an interesting question about engineers and programmers.

Where I worked in Atlanta, nearly everyone I worked with was a programmer
(i.e., computer science degree or had been doing it long enough to call himself
one (note I use himself because they were _all_ males)). Here in the Knoxville
area, however, I've noticed that the people doing programming usually have
engineering degrees. This may have something to do with the fact that UT has a
strong engineering school, that the market is driven by demand at the Oak Ridge
facilities, or some other reason.

I don't know how their pay scales relate to each other, but I know I'm not paid
as well as either of those groups!

I'm glad you raised the question LaVonna...

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI-PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com