Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- CORE -dot- CORP -dot- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 16:12:25 -0500

>I remember reading something recently about professional
>engineering societies lobbying for the exclusive use of
>the term "engineer" only for those persons who had engineering
>degrees and/or who had passed professional engineering
>licensing exams. Basically, they want to make it illegal
>for anyone other than a degreed/licensed engineer to
>call themselves an engineer, which basically ix-nays job
>titles like computer engineer or software engineer, etc.

New Jersey had a bill before the state legislature to do that to computer
programmers a little while ago, as well. There's nothing new about this
movement. Basically, what engineers (and soon programmers) want is
professional status like lawyers or doctors. IMHO they'll have to settle
for a model more like the accounting profession, where the certificates
(CPA and CMA) have acquired a strong reputation.

Have Fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
IN GOD WE TRUST --- All others must provide data