Re[2]: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re[2]: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: Virginia Krenn <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 19:43:42 CDT

And then there was the fellow who introduced himself to me by saying
that he was a Maintenance Engineer. He was a handyman repairman at a
small motel.

And isn't the term Sanitation Engineer used for the people who used to
be referred to as trash men?

I've even heard Domestic Engineer used for housewife.

I'm not denigrating any of these occupations. It has just always
seemed strange to attach the word Engineer to just about anything.

My son has a degree in Electrical Engineering with emphasis in
Computer Technology. My B.A. degree is in Math and my post graduate
work as been in Computer Science.

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
Author: "David W. Willson" <WILLSON -at- bauer -dot- usa -dot- com> at SMTP
Date: 8/19/94 6:25 PM

5. I understand about restricting who can call themselves an engineer.
I have a friend in the auto industry
who calls himself a design engineer. He is a draftsman with about 2
years of community college courses
on drafting. It upsets those who spent 5 years (the average length of
stay at the U-M engineering school)
working extremely hard to get the "engineer" title. Engineering
schools spend quite a bit of effort getting
accredited so their graduates can call themselves engineers. It hurts
the profession when people with no
engineering training (and make no mistake about it, engineering ARE
professionals, just like doctors and lawyers)
call themselves engineers.

Well, I must get back to work. --Dave