Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 17:22:32 -0500

Arlen refers to engineers as the "Initiates of the Mysteries."

This reminds me of a professor I've had for a couple of grad
classes in cross-cultural comm. He is an interesting mix: a
Kiowa who is a judge. He wryly refers to lawyers, himself
included, as "those initiated into the Brotherhood."

This fits Arlen's theory of the "Priesthood Mentality." Lawyers
certainly have their own language that works to keep everyone
else befuddled.

=just another observation=

BTW, I am indeed guilty of generalizing about engineers who
develop code in my last message on the topic. It's called venting.
Soapbox standing doesn't work if you don't generalize. I do indeed
know persons with comp eng degrees, but if I had included that
gray area, I couldn't generalize as well. :-)

Workplaces don't all have the same culture. I believe that mine
is just a little more warped than usual to the idea that "engineers
can do no wrong," where the title "engineer" does not equal the
title "programmer."

FWIW, I have no objection to us venting on this list as long as
we try to label it as such. Since it is a generalization and not
a personal attack, I don't think venting is the same as flaming.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
Start the week out right; fill up with a good dose of opinion from