telephony

Subject: telephony
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 07:54:00 -0700

I laughed at the word "telephony" in a job interview. No surprise that they
didn't hire me. They were serious about it.

-Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com
te-le'-pho-ny n (ca. 1835): the use or operation of an
apparatus for transmission of sounds between widely removed
points with or without connecting wires

-- Webster's 9th

It doesn't often come up in casual conversation, but it is a
valid word with a long history in the communication industry.

Rich