Why we read this (Was: Professional Support,Friendship, etc.)

Subject: Why we read this (Was: Professional Support,Friendship, etc.)
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- CORE -dot- CORP -dot- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 14:27:54 -0500

Marianne brings up a good point. since we've had some shots at what we
*don't* want to read on this list, let's put on the table what we want:

What I've read with interest:

Certification thread (including the thoughts about how we improve our lot
and what good *is* the STC, anyway? Valuable info on ways to improve both
the profession and ourselves.)

HTML and related: Network availability of documentation and marketing info
is a hot topic in our house recently.

Style Guides and Book Notes: I've appreciated all of the book pointers
tossed out here. I've not mined a tech writing book yet that didn't have at
least *one* useful nugget in it.

Pet Peeves: Always interested in what "hot buttons" can be inadvertantly
pressed. (I have to be honest, though, a lot of that thread I didn't find
useful, but some of it was, so I placed it here.)

Techniques. the catch-all category. It's where I'll place the E-Prime
things, the bullet lists, where to put degree signs, etc. Always useful to
see how other folks approach problems, even when I think I've got it right,
anyway. ("A mind, stretched by a new idea, never returns to the same shape"
- O. W. Holmes)

Not Interesting (You knew this list was coming, too, didn't you?):

Any DTP (or WP) program specific info (Pagemaker does it this way,
Interleaf does it this way, etc.) that applies to tools I don't (or can't)
have. I don't get much choice in the tools I use, so while the info is
perhaps nice, it's only fun to read when there's time for it.

On-Line help systems. My company doesn't ship anything for any computer
platform, so there's no point in it for me, at the moment.

I was going to stop this list here (in the interests of maintaining a
positive note for the post) but for the benefit of the rock-throwers in the
audience I figured I'd add:

Anything written by Arlen. ;{>} (There, now that *I've* said it, you don't
have to.)

Seriously, It's a Good Thing to set out what we're looking for out here.
Helps us all keep track of where we are and what we're doing.

Marianne makes a good point -- sometimes issues which affect us closely as
tech writers tend to connect with issues that don't. When that happens the
list may seem to drift for a bit. The traffic on those topics is heavy for
a short while then dies out, to be temporarily replaced by almost as many
messages from techwrlers *not* interested in the discussion demanding it
stop. :{>}

Have Fun,
Arlen

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com >>> Use this return address!!!!
IN GOD WE TRUST --- All others must provide data