About that learning curve

Subject: About that learning curve
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 12:56:50 PDT

Greetings-

A list participant recently used a common phrase:

> While I certainly agree that my knowledge of FrameMaker is not what makes
> me a good technical writer, the learning curve can be extremely steep.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This reminded me that a thinking colleague asked me a few week ago
how the learning curve is plotted. If it's like this:

| /
| /
knowledge | /
| /
|/
|_______
time

a "steep" learning curve implies learning a lot in a short time -
_not_ what this expression usually means. Does anyone know where
"steep learning curve" comes from?

-Fred

PS- I don't think plotting time on the y axis is a solution. -F
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134