Getting respect (was Re:

Subject: Getting respect (was Re:
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 03:57:00 UTC

>> anyone up for a discussion of how to battle the "tech writers are
>> fools until proven otherwise" syndrome?

I agree with what Kelly said about earning people's respect. If you
remember transactional analysis, you need to meet people "adult to adult" in
order to be effective.

I translate that to "professional to professional". I'm a professional
technical writer and the people I work with are professional engineers,
professional software developers, professional secretaries - whatever.

Then, I try to act like a professional. Pretty soon everything just
smoothes out.

One of the ways to earn respect is to do a good job. Another is to give
respect.

Marilynne (the advice giver)
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com