What does a tech writer do? (Tech writing, publicity in the US)

Subject: What does a tech writer do? (Tech writing, publicity in the US)
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 11:53:17 EDT

Julie Barker asked.
>Anyone else out there been cornered and made to feel professionally
>responsible on a regular basis because their mum (bless her) can't figure
>out how to turn the video on and off using the manual?

Oh, yes. I'm the family "expert" on these matters. The really scary moment
came a few months ago. My brother was attempting to install a CD-ROM drive
into my mother's PC, and having little luck. He apparently said, at one
point, "I wish Rick were here, he could figure this thing out."

The worst part of the story: He's in the sale/resale of computer hardware.
At the time of this story, all of my tech writing experience was in
aerospace and jet engines.

And he thought -I- was the expert??????

Rick Lippincott
I can send, but not receive at work. Address personal comments to:
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com