Re: Technical Writing Job Advertisements

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Job Advertisements
From: Bob Handlin 1331 <BHandlin -at- CHIPCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 14:22:00 PDT

Skill with a particular DTP package helps the hiring organization in the
following ways:

1. They don't have to send you out for $1,500 to $2,000 in training.

2. You're more likely to "hit the ground running." We're VERY busy these
days, and this really helps.

3. You're less likely to interrupt co-workers with "quick" questions about
basic tasks.

Granted these are all short-term benefits, compared to excellent research
and writing skills, which provide much greater long-term benefits. However,
a benefit to an organization is a benefit to an organization. Why hire
someone who doesn't have a skill already when there's a selection of
excellent candidates who do?

Also, I hope we're not so naive as to believe that a product (in this case,
ourselves) is always marketed based on its most important features. People
like a product to be sexy. Expertise on the latest DTP package is a sexy
skill.

Later,
Bob

bhandlin -at- chipcom -dot- com