Re: What does a tech writer do?

Subject: Re: What does a tech writer do?
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 15:59:17 EDT

What really bothers me is that many of my friends and relations think that it's
their fault when they don't understand something or can't get something to
work. I spend most of my time explaining that it's _not their fault_ if the
product is badly designed or the manual is badly done or translated.

The OTHER thing that really bothers me is that folks in the tech writing field
have, over the past 10 years developed writing, illustrative, and design styles
that almost guarantee understandability. (Is that a word?) Much technical
writing is remarkably good. But we don't get credit for that, ever.

Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com