Lay vs Lie

Subject: Lay vs Lie
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 14:33:39 -0700

This is one of those surveys, a la the American Heritage Dictionary. Do
people consider it important to distinguish between these words:

lie: achieve a reclining position

lay: put; or past tense of lie

People, even on this list, seem to accept "I'm gonna lay right down and
program my VCR" as correct. I would always say "lie" in that sentence. I
also refrain from splitting infinitives, and I never use "media" as
singular, although I do say "the press."

The problem arises when I need to read and comment on someone else's work.
Should I point these out as errors or simply accept them as evidence of the
language's evolution.

Please send me your votes on lay vs lie, and I'll post the results. ...RM

Richard Mateosian srm -at- c2 -dot- org srm -at- radiomail -dot- net (510)540-7745