Re: Ethical Question

Subject: Re: Ethical Question
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 13:56:40 EDT

Thanks to all of you who responded to my ethical question. So far, out
of 16 responses, only one person said, "Don't do anything." Everyone else
suggested telling the guy in some tactful, naive, or off-hand way, like:
"Gee, it sure was nice of that publisher to let you use that graphic on
your business cards. What did you have to pay them for it?"

But I'd have a hard time "playing coy" or "acting naive" ... that's just
not my communication style. Also, I have no idea what the chances are
that any of his clients will realize that he's using pirated graphics.
If I were in his shoes, though, I'd rather hear it from someone like me
rather than lose a client's respect. But, since he's not a close friend,
I'm not sure how he'd react ... and I wouldn't want him to be angry with
me for saying something to him. On the other hand, if I found out later
that one of his clients confronted him about it, I'd probably kick myself
for not saying something when I had the chance.

So, as you can see, I'm still torn, and I haven't yet decided whether or
not to say something to the guy ... even though an overwhelming number of

If I *do* decide to let him know, I may take the advice one person gave me
-- send a copy of it to him anonymously, just so he'd know that someone
else was aware of the source for the graphics on his business cards and
stationery. Perhaps that would be a subtle hint that he should use
something other than pirated graphics.

Lori Lathrop ----------------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services
P.O. Box 808