Re: Left intentionally bl

Subject: Re: Left intentionally bl
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 11:58:00 -0700

barb.philbrick wrote:
"With the tools available now that
can do page number easily and accurately across an entire
document, I use straight-through numbering. If someone
suspects a page is missing, they can see if a page number is
missing."

I have worked with documents that use the "this page
intentionally left blank" thing. A lot of these were written
as "living" documents. By that, I mean that they were kept
up-to-date on an almost real time basis -- there was not
always the luxury of reprinting the entire doc and
repaginating it. The use of replacement pages itself was a
strictly controlled administrative procedure. These living
documents were engineering procedures that controlled the
construction and maintenance of Navy nuclear propulsion
systems. The rule was "verbatim compliance." If you could
not proceed in accordance with the way the procedure was
written, then the procedure had to have an approved change
before continuing. With a whole crew of engineers, techs,
and crafts waiting, you can see the importance of a fast
turnaround.

Rich

I'm OK with "he" as the generic, too. "She", "s/he", or varying the
"he's and "she's" is distracting to me. However, I usually avoid the
issue by writing in the second person (which I prefer in directions
anyway), or by using "the operator" or "the user."

Ditto!