Call for Proposals - InterChange Tech Writing Conference

Subject: Call for Proposals - InterChange Tech Writing Conference
From: JPG3 <jpg3 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 08:41:02 -0400

Call For Proposals: 7th Annual InterChange Technical Writing Conference
1995
Andover, Massachusetts

InterChange is looking for interested persons to submit proposals for
presentations. Proposals are accepted
by topic and quality of information, but new formats, topics, and speakers
are encouraged. Sales-oriented
material, however, is not appropriate. Possible session formats include
lectures, discussions, workshops, or
round tables. Each session will be 75 minutes long, including a 15 minute
question and answer period.
Proposals are due by November 1, 1994. You may submit them via hard mail
or e-mail; no late
applications will be accepted.

The Seventh Annual InterChange Technical Writing Conference will be held
Tuesday and Wednesday,
April 4 and 5, 1995 at the Ramada Rolling Green Hotel in Andover,
Massachusetts.

InterChange is co-sponsored by the University of Massachusetts Lowell and
the Northern New England
and Boston chapters of the Society for Technical Communication. The
conference provides technical
communicators the opportunity to develop and share new ideas within the
technical writing industry and
also serves as a forum where communication professionals can demonstrate
practical applications of
technical communication theory.

About InterChange

InterChange is an annual two-day spring conference co-sponsored by the
University of Massachusetts
Lowell and the Boston and Northern New England chapters of the Society for
Technical Communication.
The goals of the conference are to
o provide technical writers, scientific writers, managers, editors,
graphic artists, educators, and
consultants with a forum for expressing ideas and learning new theories
and techniques, and
o build a bridge between technical communication theory and industry
practice.
The registration fee for participants is $285 for two days or $175 for one
day. Presenters and students are
eligible for reduced rates for conference attendance: $145 for two days or
$75 for one day. Lunch is
included.

Conference Call for Proposals

Experienced professionals are invited to submit proposals for conference
sessions. Proposals are accepted
on the basis of topic and quality of information. New and relevant
research is welcomed. Sales-oriented
material is not suitable. We actively encourage sessions on advanced
topics, especially innovative
technology. Conference sessions can be in a lecture, discussion, or
workshop format. All sessions are 75
minutes long, which allows 60 minutes for your presentation and 15 minutes
for questions.

Conference Topics

The conference groups topics in the following categories:
o Communication Techniques
o Education and Training
o Marketing Research and Writing
o New Technologies
o Professional Development
o Scientific and Medical Writing

Dear Colleague:
We invite you to submit your proposal for a session at our 7th Annual
InterChange Technical Writing
Conference to be held April 4 and 5, 1995 at the Ramada Rolling Green in
Andover, MA.
We received a great deal of feedback regarding the conference site at the
Rolling Green in Andover. Our
choice of a convenient and professional setting was positively reflected
in the appraisal forms.
We also received a great deal of input regarding the need for additional
information in the registration
brochure. Potential attendees trying to justify their attendance need
specific information about the sessions
they plan to attend and how the sessions relate to their job
responsibilities. As a result, we need to gather
additional information about the proposed sessions. Please read the
Requirements for Submitting Proposals
carefully. We cannot consider incomplete or late proposals.
We invite you to submit your proposal for another outstanding conference.
Your proposals are what made
us successful, and we encourage you to continue the tradition of
excellence that surrounds InterChange.
Sincerely,

Conference Director: John Hurtado (University of Massachusetts Lowell)
Planning Committee Chair: John Garison (Ziff-Davis Interactive)

Requirements for submitting proposals

Proposals must be postmarked by November 1, 1994. Incomplete or late
proposals cannot be considered.
All sessions are for 75 minutes, of which 15 minutes should be devoted to
questions and answers.

1. Complete the registration form in this brochure.

2. Include the following in your submission:
Basics: Name, mailing address, work phone, home phone, Email
address, job title, company
(institution or organization)
Title of session: a descriptive title that clearly defines your
session
Audiovisual requirements
Description of audience: one sentence, suitable for publishing in
the program
Abstract: about 75 words suitable for publishing in the
registration brochure
of your session, used by the
Planning Committee to evaluate your proposal
Biographical statement: about 75 words presenting your expertise
as it relates to the session you
propose, suitable for publishing in the program
Resume

3. Send all of the above to:
John Hurtado
Continuing Education
University of Massachusetts Lowell
One University Avenue
Lowell, MA 01854
OR:
Email address: hurtadojo -at- woods -dot- uml -dot- edu

Upon acceptance you may submit a paper (maximum four pages) describing
your session for publication in
the conference proceedings.
For assistance developing your proposal or for questions, please feel free
to contact John Hurtado at 508-934-2467.

You may also contact John Garison (jgarison -at- zdi -dot- ziff -dot- com).