Re: "Mapping" and Tech.Writing

Subject: Re: "Mapping" and Tech.Writing
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 21:28:41 GMT

We use "mapping" in reference to doing a structured analysis on
the process that's being written about. It isn't really a
graphic that will be used w/ the procedure, but it's a flow-chart
approach to the system boundaries (inputs, outputs, what's covered).

The advantages we've found to "mapping" the procedure include:

1. A way to find out if there's any places you've left information out.

2. A way to keep the technical reviewers from doing a grammar check.

3. A way to communicate w/ subject matter experts who aren't necessarily
comfortable w/ text.

This isn't quite the same thing, but it might help.

Nancy (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov)

--
--N. L. Hayes DISCLAIMER: Personal opinion, only.
nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov Does not represent company policy.