Re: "Mapping" and Tech.Writing

Subject: Re: "Mapping" and Tech.Writing
From: JBergen <jbergen -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 1994 01:19:02 -0400

In article <9409061743 -dot- AA11664 -at- expert -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu>, laila
<shamji -at- expert -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu> writes:

"I am an international student at Purdue University, in Indiana, and am
currently pursuing a Bachelor's in Professional Writing. Presently, I
am taking a course entitled "Writing for the Computer Industry," and
my instructor has a book called "The Power of Maps" by Denis Wood, as
one of our required reading materials. However, I do not seem to
understand the importance of 'mapping'in relation to technical
writing.

Obviously, I will ask my instructor for an answer, but I was wondering
if anyone on the list could shed some light on this issue. I would
greatly appreciate it."

Laila, this subject does affect technical writing! I'd like to suggest
another related article, "Ideology and the Map: Toward a Postmodern Visual
Design Practice" by Ben F. Barton and Marthalee S. Barton. Warning...I had
to read this very scholarly article about three times but it was worth it.
It's definitely NOT written in technical writing style, though it IS
written FOR technical communication students.

Janie Bergen
AnswerSoft