Validation/Verification

Subject: Validation/Verification
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- MAILHUB -dot- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 15:42:35 -0700

Thanks to all who responded. Glen's explanation relative to software
builds was most like what our developers here have told me.

"Well, at SI, we use the terms to refer to software builds. To verify
the build means to check if it all compiled, linked, produced an
executable image. To validate it means to check that what the executable
does is right, that is, that functions added didn't break existing
functions, that new modules work in the development build the same
way that they worked on a programmer's machine.

Similar measures happen for bug fixes -- that is verify that the bug
fix is in the production build, validate its function in that environment.
Hope this helps (or is even remotely associated with your question.)"

The hardware oriented responses (from many sources) such as the one below
were more what my experience had been at other companies.
(Vendors Validate, Customers Verify).

"VALIDATION is that process whereby the manufacturer authenticates the
technical accuracy and adequacy of all operation and maintenance
procedural information through the performance of such procedures on
the associated equipment, and the detailed technical and editorial
quality review of all publications content for technical accuracy and
adequacy, and for conformance to the content, editorial, format, and
quality assurance requirements of the applicable specifications.

VERIFICATION is that process whereby the customer substantiates the
technical accuracy and adequacy of all operation and maintenance
procedural information through the performance, or witnessing the
manufacturer's performance, of such procedures on the associated
equipment, and reviews the content of all publications for technical
adequacy and accuracy, and for conformance to the content, editorial,
format, and quality requirements of the applicable specifications.

In other words, validation is when we check the completed manual
ourselves for accuracy, etc., and verification is when the customer
checks it."

Thank you again:

;-{D

Marc A. Santacroce
Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Drive
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
510-645-3469

santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."