Re: need recommendations for dictionary

Subject: Re: need recommendations for dictionary
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 15:02:43 -0800

Can you talk him into springing for the OED online and an
appropriate site license, with part of your job being to
obtain it and work with your system people to set up access?
It would be expensive but IMHO way cool to have <skies
darken; thunder peals> The Last Word just seconds away on
everybody's tube.

In hardcopy, I like the American Heritage Dictionary of
the English Language (Houghton Mifflin). But then again
I'm not a dictionary connoisseur; I think that picking a
good one and having everybody at the site use it is better
than picking a great one. I have AmHerit because my boss
judged it to be good, bought a crate of them and gave
everybody one. Haven't been disappointed.

There's also a teeny-type OED, supplied with free magnifying
glass. Dunno how much it costs.

Joe