Re: To vet or not to vet

Subject: Re: To vet or not to vet
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 16:55:01 PST

On 9/16, Nancy Burns offered an example of the use of "vet":
People around me have taken to using the word 'vet' (sp?) in the
context of checking and proofreading, e.g.: "Please vet this document
and get it back to me ASAP". That denotation does not appear in any
dictionary that I own.

Well, my weary old (and much-maligned on this list) _American
Heritage_ offers two definitions for the transitive verb _vet_, the
second of which is "To examine or appraise expertly: _vet a
manuscript_".

I seem to recall this term being used in connection with stud books
(we're talking about the geneology of racehorses here, thank you) as
well, in the sense of verification of bloodline, and hence, by
extension, to the examination of human British males for their
potential as marriage material. But I am old, and it's late Friday
afternoon....

Doug
Doug Montalbano <> Technical Writer <> Chiron Corporation
Doug_Montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com <> (510) 601-2862 (voice/TDD)
36 lines of text embedded in 300 lines of forwarding history: the
archeology of the Internet.