Re: To Vet or Not to Vet

Subject: Re: To Vet or Not to Vet
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 1994 00:02:29 -0700

>>People around me have taken to using the word 'vet' (sp?) in the context of
>>checking and proofreading, e.g.: "Please vet this document and get it back
>>to me ASAP".

vet, vetted, vetting, vets. American Heritage Dictionary.

Subject to a thorough (veterinary) examination. I've heard it a lot in the
last few years in connection with examining the backgrounds of potential
political appointees. It used to be exclusively british, but now the NPR
crowd uses it.

It's not in the original Oxford English Dictionary. The supplement quotes a
use by Kipling in 1904. ...RM

Richard Mateosian srm -at- c2 -dot- org srm -at- radiomail -dot- net (510)540-7745