increment, and others

Subject: increment, and others
From: Mike Beyries <beyries -at- CSISDN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 11:18:49 PDT

Ladies and Gentlemen:

<soapbox warning: opinions follow>
This term, and many others found laying around by tech writers, is
derived from mathematics -- the language of science. This old(er)
math major and former teacher has taken rather nicely to the tech
writing career (for 14 years now), partly as a consequence of being
able to handle that subject and thus communicate with engineers.

Whether we call it logic, physics, or scientific language, I think
the concepts and terminology of mathematics permeate our working
environment. Terms like "increment" are invented and used because
they fill a need; the more we understand of the needs, the less we
will worry needlessly about what is 'correct' this week.

Regards,
Mike Beyries (beyries -at- csisdn -dot- com) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Documentation, SQA, Development Support | If I loosen my bridle on the |
Located at Connective Strategies, Inc. | press, I shall not stay in |
Mountain View, California, U.S.A. | power for three months. |
Phone 415-903-8382 (ISDN) or -2589 | -- Napoleon Bonaparte |
Probably *not* CSI's corporate opinion ! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -