Re: Online reviewing

Subject: Re: Online reviewing
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 17:10:19 GMT

In article AA03432 -at- goose, Steve Ino <sji -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com> writes:
>I am investigating the possibility of handling some of our publication
>reviewing electronically, since all of our in-house reviewers are linked via
>the network and have access to the same applications and documents.

>Once I put a copy of a document on the network for reviewers to peruse, how
>do reviewers make their comments (other than using redlined text or making
>bracketed comments)? I think there's a software package that allows users to
>insert sticky notes in a document, but I'm not sure if this package provides
>enough flexibility and space for extensive comments.

I've used an online database with success: reviewers can work in the same
database and you can easily sort comments by chapter and page number. I
find that reviewers tend to give better comments electronically than they
do when scribbling on hardcopy.

EARLY PLUG: I hope to be giving a paper on this at the International STC
Conference in the spring.

Janice Gelb | (415) 336-7075
janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | "A silly message but mine own" (not Sun's!)