Re: How to make online help unhelpful

Subject: Re: How to make online help unhelpful
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 14:44:00 -0500

You can't keep the Help window open and work in the application!?

That's right. I wonder if MS will be switching to the AppleGuide help system
anytime soon? It's a much friendlier help system. It ships with system 7.5, and
by itself is worth the upgrade.

It gives you a step-by-step guide to what you're trying to do, and allows you
to switch back to the application to perform the operations while the help
window is still open. Each step description usually ends with: "When you have
done this, click the right arrow." It also highlights the menu option it's
directing you to choose in red, as well as drawing a red circle around menu
names, buttons, or any other screen feature you will be working with.

It's a start toward a good online help system. Now if only other developers
will use it.

Have fun,
Arlen