Re[2]: Jobs requiring degree: worth applying without one?

Subject: Re[2]: Jobs requiring degree: worth applying without one?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 17:07:00 -0500

Of course you should apply.

Just make sure that you state clearly that you're just short of your
degree, then move the discussion on to more relevant matters, like your
EXPERIENCE.

Something that I've done, which hasn't met with much success, is include a quote
from Mark Twain (Puddin'Head Wilson's Almanac, to be exact) early in the cover
letter. It's probably impolitic, but it sums up my attitude on the subject, and
I probably wouldn't enjoy working for anyone it offended, anyway:

"The fellow who has picked up a cat by the tail has learned 50-60 times as much
as the fellow who stood and watched, and it'll stay with him longer."

Note to flamers: Since we have already burned this topic to the ground once this
year, I won't debate this topic again ... until next year. :{>}

Have fun,
Arlen