Ratio of writers to developers

Subject: Ratio of writers to developers
From: Darren Carlton <RdarrenC -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 19:03:04 EDT

Does anyone know of an industry standard for measuring the number of
documentation writers needed on a project to the number of developers?

# of tech writers
# of developers

We base the number of developers and QA people for a project on the size and
length of the project. We'd like to do the same for our tech writers (info
developers).

If you don't know of any kind of standard, how do you estimate the number of
writers needed on a project?

Please copy your responses to rdarrenc -at- aol -dot- com -dot- I had to stop my subscription
to this list because of the extra-high volume :-(