Advanced Technology PIC in San Diego

Subject: Advanced Technology PIC in San Diego
From: Mike Mcgraw <mcgraw -at- BROOKTREE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 17:59:20 -0700

San Diego STC is about to launch a brand new professional
interest committee (PIC for short) -- an Advanced Technology PIC.

Those of you who are members of STC and who read the Society's
publications (monthly newsletter *INTERCOM* and quarterly journal
*Technical Communication*) may be familiar with STC's nine national
PICs. Christopher Juillet, Assistant to the President (of STC) for
Professional Interest Committees summarized the activities of STC's PICs
in the just-arrived September issue of *INTERCOM* ("PICs: Shared
Experiences and Interests Bring Members Together".) Take a coffee break
this morning if you have the issue and find out what STC's PICs have
to offer you.

The Advanced Technology PIC has over 500 members spread among
the Society's 130+ chapters. From this membership, a small number of
volunteers have stepped forward to guide the group's national activities
and to publish *The Edge*, a newsletter sent out to PIC members about
three times a year. Other PIC members have written articles for
*Technical Communication* and helped to organize workshops and panel
discussions on advanced technology for STC's Annual Conferences.
Christopher Juillet describes the PIC's focus this way:

The Advanced Technology PIC keeps watch on the ever-expanding
uses of technology in technical communication. Such tools as
hypermedia, online editing and documentation, new authoring
systems, and multimedia systems are changing the way we work
and the Advanced Technology PIC is working to help all of us
better understand what is just over the horizon.

San Diego's new AT-PIC is just getting off the ground and will
meet for the first time on Wednesday, October 12 (see meeting info
below.) I've volunteered to lead this outfit as we get revved up, and
I'd like to extend a special invitation to you, the members of TECHWR-L,
to attend our first meeting.

If you're curious about the shape of high-tech industry in
Southern California; if you've always hankered to see how multimedia
CD-ROMs are produced; if you read the science page of your local paper
every week to see what's new...well then, the AT-PIC is for you.

San Diego STC's Advanced Technology PIC isn't about meetings.
It's about exploration, about making connections with the explorers
working in local companies, small and large; and it's about sharing what
we learn with each other and maybe even with the rest of our community.
Our 1994-95 agenda at this point is fresh and new, an open book. Come
and help us decide what --in the world of technology-- we should explore
this year.

Mike McGraw
1993-94 editor, SDSTC's newsletter, *Signature*
R&D technician, Brooktree Corp., Multimedia Div.
619-535-3447 mcgraw -at- brooktree -dot- com

+ Meeting Information for San Diego STC's Advanced Technology PIC +
+ +
+ Wednesday, October 12, 1995 5:30 - 6:30 PM +
+ at the San Diego Supercomputer Center on the UCSD Campus +
+ +
+ No charge to attend this meeting. Everyone's invited to stay +
+ for the STC monthly meeting 6:30 - 8:00, which features a talk +
+ on using the Internet, Mosaic, and WWW. STC meeting - $7.00 +
+ +
+ For information and directions, call Mike McGraw, 535-3447 +