Re: What about minimalism?

Subject: Re: What about minimalism?
From: Typo? What tpyo? 05-Oct-1994 1042 <jong -at- TNPUBS -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 10:46:41 EDT

Research tells us that there is a difference between the act of
reading to learn (as students do) and reading to do (as workers
do). Too much technical documentation is written for students;
we need to write for workers. There's plenty of anecdotal evi-
dence that this is the case.

That said, I've got to be honest about saying that my reaction
to all the messages about not knowing a certain WP product despite
the voluminous documentation is that I consider I have a significant
competitive advantage over you because I have read the documentation.
I have acquired the reputation of knowing how to use the tool,
and people are beginning to come to me with questions, even though
what I do is pull out the manuals and look up the information in the
index. I guess that's what makes me proficient 8^)

I'm writing this somewhat tongue in cheek (indeed, I'm writing it
somewhat donut in cheek), but if more people realized the connection
between the statement 'I don't know how to do something' and
'I don't read the documentation' we'd all be better off.
I certainly am *not* singling out the author of the item I've
references; it is a general and wide-spread problem.

Steve Jong
Digital Equipment Corporation

P.S.: I do not consider myself an expert in the tool 8^)