Re: MOOs and MUDs

Subject: Re: MOOs and MUDs
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 15:27:19 GMT

In article <Pine -dot- 3 -dot- 07 -dot- 9410071855 -dot- C23756-b100000 -at- dante>,
Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu> wrote:
>Could anyone provide information to where you can go to learn more about
>how to navigate through a MUD/MOO? A lot of us are relative newcomers to
>some of these things and could use more guidance. Is there online
>documentation availble on the topic? How do we find and access it? My
>daughter loves connecting to a MUD group, but she's too involved to take
>time to answer questions! Perhaps on the basis of "Oh, Mom, you're too
>old for this sort of thing!"

The simplest way to connect to a MUD is to telnet to it. However, using
telnet by itself connects you to the standard 'login' port, and you need
to know which port the MUD is actually using. For example, you'd need
to do 'telnet foo.bar.edu 3000'.

There are also front-end programs called 'clients' that make managing
your interaction with a MUD much easier; last I heard, the most popular
one was 'TinyFugue'.

For more information, including a FAQ on publically accessible MUDs, see
rec.games.mud.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on MUDs, nor have I used them save for one
brief two-month period 2.5 years ago.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.