Re: O'seas work

Subject: Re: O'seas work
From: Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 18:41:00 GMT

Sally Marquigny (SALLYM -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com) wrote:
: >And what would you chaps say to a Brit might muse on the idea of working as
: >an author in the US?

: As the immigration laws currently stand, I believe the only folks let in the
: US are:
: 4. people who have unique skills & are known in their fields (like a
: prima ballerina or nuclear physicist or pro basketball player)

and Laura Johnson replied:
... or an author with specific, badly-needed skills. I haven't seen
non-citizens/non-PRs hired as tech writers, but I've seen them hired as
programmers because they fit the job requirements better than any U.S.

I believe that one way into the workforce is via US graduate school.
Grad students can apply for a special visa to work for (I think) four
years after graduation. During that time they usually find a job and
if they are lucky the employer (ATT, for example) does the necessary
paper work to convert their visa into an immigrant visa.

Jan Bates Voice: 908 949-2311
ADSS - AT&T Bell Labs Fax: 908 949-4001
Holmdel NJ e-mail: bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com

Previous by Author: Re: Approximations
Next by Author: Re: Associations other than STC?
Previous by Thread: Re: O'seas work
Next by Thread: Re: O'seas work

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads