Re: O'seas work

Subject: Re: O'seas work
From: Kasey Chang <KaseyC -at- DISCOPY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 13:44:00 PDT

>Jan Bates says:
>>I believe that one way into the workforce is via US graduate school.
>>Grad students can apply for a special visa to work for (I think) four
>>years after graduation. During that time they usually find a job and
>>if they are lucky the employer (ATT, for example) does the necessary
>>paper work to convert their visa into an immigrant visa.

>You mean we didn't *have* to get married?!?! ;)
>This must be a new one 'cuz it sure didn't exist a few years ago. Then
>again, maybe it's all a false rumor, of which there are plenty in the wacky
>world of INS.

It doesn't sound right... Graduate Students are issued student visas. When
they expire, you'll have to go back or you are illegal. I don't think you
could stay 4 years after graduation, though finding an employer that will
help you convert to immigrant visa while you are in graduate school is far
more likely (if you got the right stuff).

Speaking of which, we all know the movie "Green Card" (I hope) with false
marriage and all that. And of course there's a lot of girls/women from
Eastern Bloc nations or China that wants to marry an American and come here
then get a divorce (and a lot of genuinely lovely and faithful ladies of
course). Is there a SAD version of "Green Card" written somewhere?

--Kasey Chang