Measuring Productivity

Subject: Measuring Productivity
From: Rick Lippincott <RJLIPPINCOTT -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 21:10:59 -0400

When management insists on measuring productivity by page counts, consider
this legitimate way to blow the numbers right out the window.

Reformat all your manuals in accordance with Information Mapping (TM)
standards.

I've recently finished the info mapping course, and I think it's a good
method for organizing/layout. (Not perfect, but good.) However, due to the
increased amounts of white space on each page, the page count of each manual
will go way up. A previous tech writer at my company info mapped a manual,
and it tripled in size.

So, you get the company to pay for the info mapping courses, and then you
revise the manuals accordingly. Now, instead of producing 1,000 pages a
year you're producing 3,000 pages a year. They'll be in total awe.

Of course, to use the image that someone esle posted, you've just spray
painted all of Billy Rose's chairs......

Rick Lippincott
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com