Re: Hyphenation rule of thumb

Subject: Re: Hyphenation rule of thumb
From: "Robert A. Goff" <0005290822 -at- MCIMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 13:40:00 EST

Erik Harris says:
"...we ought not compress common
hyphenated terms too soon in their evolution."

Yes. I'm very glad you wrote that message, because it shows me how well
hyphenation fits into the ever-present argument between those who wish to
preserve the current form of the language and those who want to let it grow
as quickly as possible. I made an argument in another area that although
we can't stop the language from changing, we can at least try to ensure that
the changes strengthen it. The hyphenation rule is a chance to let the
language "try out" a change, to see if it lasts and if it's worth the effort.
I guess that I agree that it should be tried out longer than it takes to creep
into one reference.

Bob Goff
rgoff -at- mcimail -dot- com