searching for literature; tables

Subject: searching for literature; tables
From: Matthew Hurst <matth -at- COGSCI -dot- EDINBURGH -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 13:59:58 BST

I am looking for information to do with the use of tables in technical
documentation.

At HCRC, Edinburgh University, we are working on projects to do with
technical documentation authoring aids, as well as the interpretation
of technical documents in a particular domain. Many of the documents
we deal with contain information in a tabular format. We want to be
able to process these tables (in an ascii form) and to end up with
some form of relation (like a database relation) describing the
tabulated info. To this end we are working on some ideas about
declarative descriptions of tables. We also think that, in order to
correctly 'read' the tables, some amount of natural language
processing is required.

Does anyone know of work that might be of interest to us?

e.g.

o abstract models of tables, their contents and layout
o natural language for table processing
o the generation of tables
o informal descriptions of what a good table should look like

Matt Hurst