Re: Windows Help S/W

Subject: Re: Windows Help S/W
From: "Mary M. Deaton" <marymd -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 07:39:27 -0700

On Tue, 18 Oct 1994, Pamela Bloom wrote:

> I'm interested in any recommedations on software packages to generate
> on-line help for windows applications. Two packages I have heard of
> include RoboHelp and MasterHelp. Please let me know what you like and
> dislike about the packages you have worked with.

> Thanks,

I find MasterHelp too complex and too full of bugs. I do not believe the
people who wrote it understand good Help design. I have RoboHelp, but
have not used it extensively. My two favorites are ForeHelp for small,web
structure authoring and Doc-To-Help which I use mostly for converting
print to Help, or authoring both print and Help using the same text.

I really think it depends on what you need to do. There are alot of demos
and shareware and working models on the WINSDK forum of CompuServe. If
you can get someone with an account to let you browse the library you
will find lots of stuff to evaluate. And you will find people from the
various companies lurking here and they will usually chime in with a
number or address for getting more information on their product.

Mary Deaton
KNOWware: Information You Can Use