Re: Pat's Comments about Richard's "Resume length" comments

Subject: Re: Pat's Comments about Richard's "Resume length" comments
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 11:17:59 EDT

>And, for the record, I believe a one-pager, plus perhaps a separate page
>listing recent projects, is still a good bet.

Even a terse, uninformative listing of my related experience, related education
and related skills (software and operating systems) would not fit on one page.

It seems to me in this era of retrenchment, and in a buyer's market, you've got
to say more than just that in a resume, just to get interviewed. Or are you
saying more, and writing more to the particular job at hand, in a cover letter?
I was also taught to keep _them_ short.

My original question was whether a long resume _hurts_ you automatically, which
was what I was taught in the early '80s, even though I had to "pad" my resume
in a creative fashion in those days... ;-)

Anyone have a "What Color is Your Parachute" in a recent addition? What's the
advise there?

Oh, and about recent projects: my last prospective employer (now my current
one) did ask me for a list of projects, which I compiled for him and will now
use as supplementary interview material (but won't include in the paper I
send first).

Cheers
Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)

% Recent fortune cookie gem: %
% %
% "From listening comes wisdom, %
% from speaking, repentance." %
% %
% So Confucius subscribed to an e-mail list? %