Re: Resume length

Subject: Re: Resume length
From: Marcy Baker Hartman <marcyh -at- PRODMKTG -dot- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 22:05:56 GMT

>>How long should a resume be for a newly-graduated college student? I
>>think it's necessary to list the jobs I've had as a technical writer,
>>but if I'm limited to one page, I can't.

>I wrote my first computer program in 1960. My employment experience ranges
>from 1965 to now and includes programming, management, computer systems
>consulting, technical and strategic marketing, and freelance technical
>writing. I have a one-page resume.

Greetings:

Unlurking to respond to this thread...I am a technical writer who has
been successfully contracting for the past five years. I have never been
out of work any longer than I have wanted to be (for trips and vacations).
I generally start looking for another contract up to one month before my
current contract ends.

I have a one-page resume, which contains a synopsis of my experience (one
paragraph), a listing of hardware and software I know, and my educational
background. This document contains the sentence: "Writing samples, employment
history and excellent business and personal references available." I do not
imply that they are "available upon request" as I do not give references to
anyone who has not expressed an interest in employing me.

A second page contains brief employment history capsules covering no more
than the past three years.

The third page is a list of my business and personal references.

I will fax or email the resume in response to an ad or post, and may
include an employment history if I am VERY interested in the position
and am responding directly to an employer (as opposed to an agency).
I NEVER give my references until after an interview has taken place.
Where I live and work recruiters (some of you are calling them "flesh
peddlers") use our references and employment histories to get the names
of companies and managers who hire contractors. I discovered this after
someone listed me as a reference and I received calls from several
recruiters soliciting my business. When I told them I was a writer and
expressed my dismay at their solicitations from references listings, each
and every one of them tried to recruit me.

Of course, I can only go by my own experiences, and you must do what you
feel is best for yourself. My heartfelt best wishes to all my brother and
sister writers out there. 8^}

Marcy

"Input has been plugged into output, creating kaput." Nat'l Lampoon
Marcy Baker Hartman
Technical Publications Consultant
trillian -at- netcom -dot- com - marcyh -at- Ebay -dot- Sun -dot- COM