documentation software

Subject: documentation software
From: Jill Bornemeier <jill -at- NEI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 08:06:17 LCL

I'm a techwriter for a computer networking company. Currently, we use Word
6.0 for our documentation. We are looking for a new package, and I am looking
for advice! These are some of the features we require:

Must have conditional capabilities: we have more than one product, these
products share some features, but also have unique features. I want to be
able to have one document, with conditional statements embedded - so I can
include some text for one product, exclude it for another, etc.

Must be able to convert the existing documentation from Word, including the
indexing..

Must have better graphics capabilities than Word, or be able to import
graphics painlessly. (But the graphics package can't be for expert graphic
artists - we're a small company, and the technical writing department, all two
of us, do the writing, the editing, the artwork.....)

Must be able to handle large documents well. Our work is divided into
chapters, but some of the chapters are quite long - up to 70 pages.

We've heard good things about FrameMaker - would it fulfill our requirements??

Thanks!!