Resume Length

Subject: Resume Length
From: "Lis Fraser, Tech. Pubs., MacDonald Dettwiler" <LIS -at- MDA -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 17:22:10 PDT

We shouldn't be concerned with the length of our resume. As long as it
is reasonable (4 pages or less). What's most important is that the
resume is easy to read and easy to "scan" quickly so that potential
employers can find the type of information they're looking for and
not have to spend alot of time reading it to figure out what this
person has actually "done" for a living so far. I've read very
well-organized, easy-to-understand, resumes that are five pages long that
I found much more useful than a one or two-page resume where I have
to read every word...and even worse....read between the lines.

When I'm writing a user's manual, I don't consider how many pages I
should limit it to. Instead, I provide the information that the user
needs to use the system. I would discourage anybody from limiting a
resume to one page if they feel they haven't conveyed the message
that they want.

I'm reviewing a stack of resumes right now and I am not at all concerned
at the length of them as I am on how quickly I can find the information
that I need. There is no "proper" or "in" length of resumes as far as
I'm concerned. Provided we have the common sense to avoid being verbose,
let's just get the message across in whatever type or length of resume
we are comfortable with.

Lis.