"Y'all" usage at MIT

Subject: "Y'all" usage at MIT
From: Rick Lippincott <RJLIPPINCOTT -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 20:32:38 -0400

Regarding the use of the word "y'all" by an MIT resident:

It communicated the message, didn't it? (And perhaps the original user is
from the South?)

I lived in Atlanta from 1984 through late 1989. Although I've been in the
Boston area for almost five years now, the occasional "y'all" still creeps
into my language. Much as we Yankees make fun of Southern speech, "y'all"
-can- be a very convenient all-inclusive term.

And now, in an attempt to deflate my own pomposity, I'll rephrase that line
in an Eastern Massachusetts dialect: "She finds the use of the term 'y'all'
convenient, and so don't I."

Rick Lippincott
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com