Re: dialect survey

Subject: Re: dialect survey
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 11:32:00 -0700

--==Snip==--
I'm
from. When I say "Columbus, Ohio", they express disbelief. When I ask where
they thought I was from, they sometimes say "New York", but mostly I hear
"Pennsylvania"!! I hear no difference between the way I speak and the way
most
of the people around me speak, and I had NO idea that there was a
Pennsylvania
accent, but apparently I have one (my parents grew up in PA). Can anybody
tell
me what a PA accent is?

Nora
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com
======================================
People around Pittsburgh have a very definite accent, which I
didn't realize until I moved away and everybody commented on
mine. Certain consonant sounds get slurred together. East
Liberty (a section of the city) is pronounced "Eesliberty".
The "ow" sound in _downtown_ is pronounced something like
"duhntuhn". Same with the "ou" in _house_ -- more like
"hahss". Try to say those words without your lips forming a
circle (like "ooo") and that's it.

Then there are words that peg you as a Pittsburgher right
away:
Gumband = rubber band
Jumbo = bologna
You'ns = Y'all
Ahrn = Iron City beer (as in, "Gimme an Ahrn and a jumbo
sammich.")
Mupear = I'm up here (when you're in Erie, you tell the
locals, "Mupear from Pittsburgh, how you'ns dune?")

I don't think the accent is quite the same in Philadelphia or
other parts of the state.

Rich
(temporarily displaced Pittsburgher)