Re: Don't write software manuals

Subject: Re: Don't write software manuals
From: "Tate-Stratton, Nikki A" <Nikki_A_Tate-Stratton -at- FINCC02 -dot- FIN -dot- GOV -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 14:56:54 -0800

Arthur Comings writes:

>You prabably have the advantage of staying real flexible. I'm curious,
>though: How can these analysts not be software users if they're using
>your manuals? They turn the computer on just to read your work, and
>don't use it for the job you describe?

Okay, okay... there is software invovled in the process...

The manuals are organized by function, not program. A particular task
may require policy analysis, consultation with personel in several
offices, reference to paper documents, and use of several different
software packages and on-line information systems... Although the
on-line manual provides enough information to allow the user to
perform a wide variety of tasks, it is in no way a comprehensive
source of info. on the use of the software packages... For anything
out of the ordinary, users are referred to detailed software
documentation.

GeoQuest
Corte Madera, California
atc -at- corte-madera -dot- geoquest -dot- slb -dot- com