[no subject]

From: Marthat San <sandsm -at- EXPERT -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 16:20:19 -0500

I am a senior at Purdue University studying technical writing and
communications. For a semester project for a technical writing class, I
am writing a manual for future technical writing majors who are going out
into the job field. I am also doing this for my own personal benefit as
I am currently looking for a job in a western state that does not "advertise"
much in Indiana or on the internet. If you could, please answer the following
questionairre and reply to my e-mail account. I am interested in people from
a technical writing (or related) field. Please answer any questions that
apply to your situation.

1.) For those who majored in technical writing in college, what kind of
job are you doing now?
Was this your entry level job?
If not, what was your entry-level job?

2.) For those with technical writing jobs who did not major in technical
writing but are currently technical writers:
What did you study in college? (Or, did you go to college?)
What made you decide to choose technical writing as a career?

3.) General questions:
What advice do you for students about to graduate who hope to become
tecnical writers?
What are the biggest assests new graduates bring to the technical writing
industry?
What are the the worst liabilities new graduates bring to the technical
writing industry?

4.) Location questions:
Where is the best place to look for technical writing jobs?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to search for technical writing jobs
when you don't have direct access to a company. (For example, I live in Indiana
but am trying to find a job in the Salt Lake City area.) In other words, how
can college graduates become more assertive in looking for a job when all other
known routes fail?

I realize these are alot of questions to have to answer and that everyone's
time is very precious to them. I promise to keep all answers striclty
conficential and will respond to anyone who has any questions or who would like
to see a final copy of the manual. Also, if you have anything else to add--
please feel free. The more information I can get from professionals, the more
I can understand the "real world" technical writing business and the easier it
will be to write a more reliable manual. Thanks again for your time.

Elaine
sandsm -at- expert -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu