"Facts is facts"

Subject: "Facts is facts"
From: Michael LaTorra <mikel -at- HUEY -dot- ACCUGRAPH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 10:07:35 MST

Rose Wilcox wrote the following regarding "facts is facts":

>I cannot agree that
>stating a historical fact is politically incorrect. Facts is facts.
>If we're getting so sensitive that we have to change the truth,
>I think we're getting out of hand. For instance, to say, "Many
>studies have shown that males score higher on math
>achievement tests" -- is not necessarily a sexist statement.
>It is a statement of fact. To say, "All men are better than
>all women in math" would be a sexist statement. To say,
>"All US Presidents have been white males and they make
>better Presidents" is sexist. But to simply state facts cannot
>be sexist, feminist, or any other -ist.

I agree completely that facts should never be denied just because
some people don't like them.

However, I disagree that "to simply state facts cannot be sexist,
feminist, or any other -ist" because the arbiters of political
correctness do precisely that every day. Look at the reaction to
Herrnstein & Murray's new book THE BELL CURVE. The media are
overflowing with charges of "racism" against the authors who are
only guilty of having reported the results of decades of data on
IQ.

But you're unfortunately right, Rose, in saying about the rampant
PC hypersensitivity "I think we're getting out of hand." We are.
And it's a long road back to sanity.

Live long & prosper,
Mike LaTorra

Documentation Supervisor
Accugraph Inc.
mikel -at- accugraph -dot- com
The opinions expressed are my own, ][ "Politics is the business of
and not necessarily those of my ][ getting power and privilege
company -- but they probably ][ without possessing merit."
should be. ][ -- P.J. O'Rourke